On Sep 22, 9:39 pm, Frank Bayne <frankr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> ________________________________

>         Fish TB (mycobacteriosis), is hard to 'clean up' after. The tank and
> anything your going to keep that was in the tank, along with the filter, nets,
> siphon hoses, etc. needs to be disinfected with a strong chlorine solution
> and then sprayed with rubbing alcohol - surgical spirits (isopropyl) and let
> to air dry before using it again.
> I would not buy from the big box stores if you can help it - look for a good
> small pet shop...................Frank

I had fish TB hit my tanks years back.
It was horrible. I had to watch a few breeding pairs of angels die,
along with the rest of the fish I had. Some I had to euthanize myself.
It was so hard to put down the last mated pair. They were mine that I
bred, they were the prized perfect pair...and I had to kill them or
let them suffer.
I was changed after TB ran through my tanks.
I, an angel breeder, couldn't even bring myself to buy new stock and
start over. It took me years before I could even look at them in shops
without tearing up.
At the time it hit my tanks there we didn't the internet. = O
Doesn't that sound so odd now a days, hehe.
I couldn't find any real info out there, and our library didn't have
enough books on fish diseases.
Back then the John G. Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, IL used to have a
time slot where you could talk to one of their aquarists for help. I
had help directly from their head freshwater aquarists, Bill (at the
time).
He was such a help.
I was told that all the fish would be infected....even in other tanks
if my hand or equipment went from the infected tank to another (which
of course it did).
Fish can either have active or dormant TB. Active has obvious symptoms
- which there are several that mimic other diseases.
Some will be carriers and live like normal for years....then all of a
sudden come down with active TB.
All are carriers and spread it...active or dormant...doesn't matter.
After all fish are dead - either by euthanizing fish that are
suffering or dying, you need to bleach everything that can be.
Toss out what can be easily replaced (filter cartridges, etc).
You can also spray with rubbing alcohol on items that cannot be soaked
in bleach water. Things like your tank's hood, your hands before
touching anything after touching infected tank items or water....
Bill told me to think about it like it's the plague. The germs are on
everything and can be spread easily, so then everything must be
sanitized. That includes your hands and arms.
When I was sterilizing from TB I had a spray bottle that had isopropyl
alcohol in it.
I wish I had one of those booths you see in a movie that you go in and
your entire body is sanitized.
I didn't have live plants at the time, so I don't know what can be
done to sterilize them.