The Werewolf of Paris
The Vampire of Prague

Running Time: 65 minutes
Video Certificate:
15
Directed By:
Tod Browning
Starring:
Lionel Barrymore, Bela Lugosi, Elizabeth Allan, Lionel Atwill, Jean Hersholt and Carol Borland
Genre:
Thriller

Gallery

In the same vein...
London After Midnight (1927) Browning's lost masterpiece (Mark of the Vampire is a remake)

Plot:

Sir Karell Borrowdon is murdered and two puncture wounds are found on his neck. However, the culprit is far from supernatural, he is a shifty friend of the family called Baron Otto. The Baron turned to murder when his plan to marry Karrellâs daughter Irena was thwarted, as she engaged herself to a young Man named Fredo. The police concoct an elaborate plot to reveal the killer, they hire showfolk Bela Lugosi and Luna the batwoman and make believe there is a real vampire on the loose. With the aid of a Professor with a talent for hypnotism, Baron Otto is revealed as a murderer and duly apprehended. Lugosi and Luna go back to the theatre and everyone lives happily ever after, safe in the knowledge that vampires are nonsence.

Vampire:

Despite not having any real vampires the film boasts plenty of vampire mythology. A mysterious herb called Bat-thorn has the same effect as garlic usually does, keeping vampires at bay. A vampire can only be killed in the hours of daylight. While it is night vampires cannot be harmed or destroyed. They can only be killed in a corpse like state, not as a bat or other animal. The only way to kill a vampire is to sever the head with a single stroke and place a sprig of bat-thorn in the gaping wound.

Hunter:

The hunters in this case are not after the vampire but a murderer. There are the police, who of course donât believe in vampires, but more interestingly there is the Professor with an interest in the supernatural and a sideline in hypnotism. Right.

Love interest:

Irena Borrowdon, is a dutiful daughter intent on catching her fatherâs murderer. In perfect English, she is constantly reminded of "the horror of it all" and spends a considerable amount of time swooning and lying in bed in a negligee.

High Points:
The one thing that really makes this film stand out is Carol Borlandâs performance as bat woman Luna. She says not one word until the end of the film and yet is by far the most memorable character. The scene when she morphs into a bat is awesome. She prompts extreme reaction like the poor young lady who has come to buy the house: "Iâve been a good girl, Iâve been a good girl all my life, donât let her get me!" While Lugosi goes around hardly noticed.

The atmosphere is really creepy, from the opening shot of the cross on the church, to the old woman gathering firewood there is an eerie tension. Draculaâs castle makes up what it lacks in exterior with cobwebs and a host of bats, bugs, spiders, scorpions, rats and other unidentifiable rodents. You can cut the atmosphere with a knife! The cat jumping out of the rattling suit of armour gag, seen here for the very first time, adds to the creepy atmosphere.

Low Points:
The trite ending to this film is an anticlimax and bitter disappointment after the atmosphere built up throughout the rest of the film.

The bats are so fake that they are really funny, in several shots you can see the strings and the squeaking sounds are definitely mechanical and not sonar.

Anyone named Otto is bound to be shifty so it doesnât take a genius to work out whodunit.

The dialogue is fairly stilted

This film also suffers from far too many characters with very little depth to any of them, confusing and dull to watch.

Logic let me introduce you...

If the Professor was going to hypnotise Barron Otto anyway, why bother with the elaborate vampire scheme? They could have lured him back with some simpler ploy surely?

What on Earth have the creepy Transylvanian/Romanian village people and the old woman gathering firewood got to do with anything?

How on Earth does Luna transform into a bat? The film glibly explains her away as part of the bat-woman theatre, but I think even with todayâs technology such a stunt would be very difficult on stage.

Say What? Cool Quotes:

How terribly exciting!

"Fancy Ronny, Vampires in the twentieth century!"
"Ripping. Theyâll never believe that at the club!"

Frailty, thy name is woman:

"I felt her deadly cold breath on my throatâ I must have faintedâ I knew no more."

Just so youâre in no doubt: Vampires are evil.

"There is no more foul or relentless enemy of Man in the occult world than this dead/alive creature, spewed up from the grave."

Disease Imagery:

"The vampire is a pestilence that grows."

She lives to swoon again:

"The horror of it made me faint."

Propriety must be upheldâ Irena to her fiance Fredo:

"Now you run along downstairs, Iâll get out of this negligee, I havenât had a dress on for ages."

Best line out of context:

"Whatâs wrong? Last night you were terrified and now youâre gay and cheerful."

Bela Lugosi gets the last word:

"Did you watch me? I gave all of me. I was greater than any real vampire."