Title: AOL Email
Confrontation
by Paula

This is a work of speculative fiction and not intended to infringe on the rights of Anne Rice or her publishers.

Reborn is the sequel to Reborn.

Spoilers for all VC up to QotD.

"Santino, please come with me." Armand begged once more as he finshed packing his case.

Santino sat on the edge of the bed and held the lid of the case down as Armand locked it. "No, ragazzo. You need to spend some time with your friends, I understand that."
Armand moved the case to the floor and plopped down beside Santino on the bed. Cuddling into his arms, Armand continued his argument. "But, they would welcome you. You know that."

Reluctantly, Santino admitted something that had been preying on his mind ever since the victory over Akasha. "Armand, I will not be alone. I am going to Burma to seek out Maharet."

Armand shot upright and pulled away from Santino, his eyes full of shock, "No! Please, not alone!"

"Don't worry. I have already contacted her and she is expecting me. I will do nothing to deliberately antagonize her, ragazzo. She has put up with my existence for centuries so I don't believe she will burn me on sight." Santino joked.

Armand was bristling with a combination of anger and fear. Jumping to his feet, he began to pace furiously. "How long have you been planning this? Were you going to tell me at all? Santino, I don't like it. When we left her home in Sonoma I could see the hatred in her eyes."

"Armand, I am sorry I didn't tell you, but I didn't want you to worry. Besides, do you honestly believe that she is that much of a danger to me? I pose no threat to her anymore. Eric is safely out of my reach and she never seriously threatened me, even when I was with him. She just showed her displeasure at our relationship."

Santino pulled Armand back into his arms. "Trust me ragazzo. I need to do this. I have to face her and find out why she dislikes me so much and see if I can do something about it. I wish I could make you understand! For some reason her antagonism haunts me. I have done nothing to her, and yet she seems to hate me even more than Marius does. And you must admit that he has good reason for his hatred."
Armand nodded grudgingly, and picked at the buttons on Santino's shirt. "All right, but promise me that you will not try to shield yourself from me. I need to know that you are safe."

Armand was so agitated that another thought escaped his mind. Santino picked it up immediately. Armand was worried that Eric would be there. He was jealous! Sighing, Santino hugged Armand, kissed the top of his head and assured him, "Armand, I am going there for no other reason than to speak to Maharet. She assures me that we will alone and uninterrupted. I will agree not to shield myself from you as long as you stay out of whatever happens. I need to be able to concentrate totally on her. No putting answers in my head, OK? You, in turn, must promise not to follow me. You must remain with Louis and Lestat until I return."

Armand started to protest vehemently but Santino was firm. "Promise me, Armand."

Armand mumbled something too low for even Santino's vampire hearing to understand.

"What did you say?"

"I said, I promise!" Armand blurted into Santino's shirt. "But I still don't like it."

Santino put a finger under Armand's chin and lifted his face until his lover was staring into his eyes. Placing a soft kiss on the upturned lips, Santino stated, "It will be over soon and then we can get on with our lives. This is very important to me, Armand. I need to do this."

Santino then quickly pushed Armand to arm's length and smiled down into the concerned face gazing up at him. "Now, be on your way. And don't stop until you reach New Orleans." Turning him, Santino patted Armand's behind in farewell. Smiling ruefully, Armand picked up his case. Reaching up, he grabbed Santino by the back of the neck and pulled his head down for a long, deep kiss. "Please, be careful." Armand murmured against his lover's lips. Then he went out the door.

After Armand had left, Santino picked up the small case he had packed earlier. If Armand had noticed it, Santino would have been in even more trouble. Stepping outside, he locked the door, checked the area to assure that he was unobserved, rose quickly into the air and headed west, ahead of the morning sun.

Several long hours later, covered with ice, Santino set lightly down in the garden of Maharet's Burma home. Brushing the ice crystals from his clothes and hair, he looked around. The lush blossoms and leaves were dripping with early morning dew and the grass was glistening in the moonlight. The night was alive with the music of crickets and night birds. Santino listened in appreciation for a few minutes and then turned toward the house.

Maharet stood in the open door, the light from the room illuminating her slim elegant figure. ::Morning approaches. I have a room prepared for you:: Turning, she walked back into the house.

'Greetings to you too, Maharet' Santino thought to himself wryly. But what could he expect? He had practically invited himself here. Maharet would never have proffered an invitation. The reason for this was precisely why he was here. Sighing, he walked into the house.

The sun had barely set when Santino opened his eyes the next evening. Staring at the ceiling, he counted the small tiles, which were set in an intricate pattern above his head. Now that he was here, he was strangely reluctant to take the next step. Sighing, he threw back the covers on the luxuriously soft bed and climbed to his feet.

He padded into the large, elegant bathroom. A shower large enough for the entire coven took up most of the space. :She enjoys her comfort: he thought wryly. Bathing quickly, Santino was soon back in the bedroom. Pulling clean garments from his case, he dressed rapidly. His innate sense of discipline would no longer allow him to procrastinate, so he let the room in search of Maharet.

She was standing by the fireplace in the sitting room watching the flames leap upward in their futile attempt to reach the sky. Santino stood quietly, waiting for her to acknowledge him. He would not barge in on her as her very age demanded his respect.
Finally, she looked up at him. Her face was completely devoid of emotion and welcome. "Do you need to hunt before we talk?"

Moving further into the large beautiful room, Santino answered, "No. I am fine."

"Then please, be seated." Maharet moved to a large comfortable chair and sat down stiffly. Carefully arranging her emerald green silk caftan about her legs she avoided his eyes. After a while she shot a glance at him. "Now that the niceties have been taken care of, what precisely do you wish to discuss with me?"

Santino sat down on the couch and stared at his tightly clenched hands. His knuckles were white and his palms were bleeding from the pressure of his nails biting into his flesh. "I am sorry, I don't know of any other way to say this. I need to know why you hate me and what I can do to change it."

"Hate you? What makes you think you think I hate you?" Maharet's brittle sounding voice shot back at him.

Santino looked up into her face. She had acquired fresh mortal eyes very recently, he noticed. "Maharet," he chided gently, "I have seen how you treat the others. I have seen your protectiveness towards them. Yet, when I enter a room, your lovely mortal eyes turn cold with disdain and you ignore me completely unless forced to acknowledge my presence. I thought it was because of my association with Eric but that ended years ago. He is very happy with Khayman and you seemed satisfied with their relationship. But where I am concerned, nothing has changed."

Looking back down at his hands, he brushed the drying blood off his palms and continued, "I have never really been concerned about others' opinions of me, but I always understood their reasons. I have to admit that your dislike has begun to haunt me to the point where I can think of little else."

Maharet's face had hardened at Santino's statement. "You tell me, Santino. Why do you think I would hate you?" Her voice practically dripped ice.

Santino hesitated, then gathering courage, he blurted out, "The coven".

Before Maharet could respond, he continued. "Maharet, you must understand. I believed that what I was doing was right. I believed in my faith, and I still believe that by doing what I did, I protected the members of my coven."

"What of the so-called rogues that you killed, Santino? Were not their lives as valuable as those of your coven?" Her voice was now filled with venom.

Santino was so deeply entrenched in the past that he took no notice of her hostility and plunged forward with his explanation. "I never killed wantonly, Maharet. I always approached each one and gave him a chance to join the coven. They were endangering all of us with their lack of discipline and carelessness."

"A chance? Is that what you call a chance? They were living their lives in freedom, unfettered by your false faith. What you did was no different than what the mortals did to each other in the name of faith during the Spanish Inquisition! Tell me, did you approach Marius and offer him this choice?"

"Yes, I did. He laughed at me, and told me that if he ever saw me again, he would kill me." Santino closed his eyes at the memory.

"It is too bad he didn't." Maharet blurted.

"It is too bad he didn't." Her words echoed in his mind.

Santino opened his eyes and stared at her in shock as Maharet covered her face with her hands. "I am sorry, Santino. That was uncalled for." Her voice conveyed a deep weariness. Lifting her head, she asked, "Tell me. Why did you leave the coven?"

It was Santino's turn to look down at the floor, "When I ordered the attack on Marius, I was already beginning to doubt the rightness of my actions. The time I spent with Armand only confirmed it. I may have converted him, but his beauty and the purity of his heart were my downfall.

I began to be lax in my duties; duties that I had originated. Other members of the coven began to be suspicious of me. When it became unbearable to remain there, I simply walked away, leaving everything behind. Had it not been for a chance meeting with Pandora and Eric, I believe I would have gone into the sun."

"Eric." Maharet's voice was bitter, and her face hardened once more.

Santino sighed, "Maharet, I know you believe that I took Eric from you, but that isn't true. Mael was with you by that time and Eric felt like he was intruding."

Maharet started to protest, but Santino hurried on. "I urged him to return to you, but he said he needed to live his own life. Years later, when you and I argued over Jesse in Sonoma, I once again urged Eric to remain with you but Mael was still there. I believe Eric was jealous. I am telling the truth, Maharet. You know this. I have not tried to hide a single thought from you."

Maharet nodded stiffly, her eyes still full of hostility. "I believe you. Is that the end of our discussion?"

Santino stared at her in astonishment, his mind churning furiously. Finally, he answered, "No, I don't think so. Nothing I have said has made any difference has it? That means there is something else. Tell me Maharet, please. What is the real cause of your hatred? What have I done that is so unforgivable?"

Maharet stood and moved in quick agitated steps around the room. Whirling, she faced him. "You saw the map I made of the Great Family on the walls in my Sonoma house? After he nodded, she continued. "I have made that my life's work. I have followed different branches during the centuries. They are all my children. I have wanted only the best for them. Can you understand that?"

Once more, Santino nodded in confusion. What could this possibly have to do with him?

Maharet had returned to her chair and sat tensely on the edge of the seat. "One of those branches extended into Italy. It was not a wealthy or powerful branch, just common people who spent their lives trying to survive. I was very proud of their tenacity and ambition but they had one burning weakness. They had become avid followers of Christianity. I knew it would be their downfall, I was just not aware of how quickly."

She paused for a long moment, seeming to need to gather her strength. "I am sure you remember the Black Plague." Without waiting for Santino's response, she continued. "During this time I made an enemy. His name was Marcus. He was an old and powerful vampire. I will not bore you with the details of how we became enemies. I just want you to understand that he was willing to do anything to hurt me.

Somehow, he had found out about the Great Family. By that time, there was only one surviving member of the Italian branch and he was already showing signs of the disease. Marcus found him and attacked him. But he did not kill him. Oh no. That would have been too kind. Instead, he made him into a vampire and then took him to the loathsome Children of Darkness. He knew I would have rather seen him dead!" She spat out in rage.

Santino sat there, numb with shock and horror as the truth began to sink in. He felt frozen with realization. His maker's name had been Marcus!

"You were everything he had hoped you would be, weren't you, Santino?" Maharet snarled. "You were the epitome of everything I detested. Did you not wonder why he never returned to the coven? Why your maker never returned to you? Marcus made the mistake of telling me what he had done. He wanted me to know his triumph. That mistake was his final one. He never left the room alive."

They sat in silence for a long while, each one lost in thought. Finally, Santino looked at her sadly. "And now, Maharet? Are you still ashamed of me? I have tried to atone in some small way for my actions. I will always remember the pain I brought to others with regret. That will never leave me. If I am indeed your descendent, you must understand that."

When she didn't answer, he sighed and stood up. "I will no longer bother you, Maharet. I understand your hatred now. Just please believe that although I know it is impossible, I will continue to try to make up for my actions in any way I can. Not for you, but for my own sake. I will leave you now."

Santino walked back to his room to retrieve his case. He was still shaking with shock by her revelations but everything she said made perfect sense. After all, one tended to forgive strangers, but when one of your own was guilty, it was an entirely different matter.

He slowly packed his small case. Looking up, he saw the tiles he had counted only a short while ago. He was beginning to regret ever getting out of bed. Sighing he started for the door.

Santino walked silently down the hall, the portraits on the wall seeming to condemn him as he passed. As he reached the exit, Maharet's voice called to him hesitantly. "Santino?"

Turning, he stared at her in confusion. Had she forgotten yet another crime he had committed?

"Per-, perhaps at some later date we can talk again." She whispered hesitantly.

"I would like that, Maharet," he answered sadly, his heart lurching with a faint hope. "When you wish to speak to me, just call and I will come."

"Perhaps next time you can bring that little snoop who has been listening to every word we have been saying." The look of mischief in her face made her look like a young girl.

Santino could feel Armand's indignation at her statement and he laughed. "I will bring him, Maharet. Thank you."

As he walked out the door, Santino felt the urge to look at her one last time. Turning, he saw her watching him. "Thank you, Maharet." She nodded in acknowledgement.

Santino lifted into the night sky for his flight back to Armand, his mind churning with mixed feelings. He felt sorrow for all that had happened and yet he was relieved to finally know the truth. He and Maharet might never be close but now he knew they could co-exist in peace. He could live with that.

Sending out a silent call as he climbed high into the cold night sky, he felt the touch of Armand's mind. Suddenly content, Santino called to his love, ::Armand, I am coming home::

The End

Come one come all Mortals who are willing to stick their neck out for a vampire to feed upon.  We will be willing to share our Dark Gift to you mortals if you pass our test.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Links