Title: AOL Email
Salems Lot

In this adaptation of Stephen King's novel, a vampire and his human familiar come to the small town of Salem's Lot to begin a reign of terror. David Soul plays a relatively believable vampire hunter, although his acting at times seems a little forced. The premise and story are fairly good, even with all the adaptations and cuts you find in a novel turned horror movie. My largest disappointment with this film was in the portrayal of Barlow, the "king" vampire. Whether it was a decision of the director or the man who penned the screenplay, the portrayal of Barlow as little more than a grunting animal was a travesty. For those who have read the novel, I'm sure most would agree that what made the Barlow character so compelling and such a worthwhile adversary was his exceptional intelligence. In this film, Barlow resembles nothing so much as the vampire of mythic lore, grunting, discolored and disfigured, with only limited mental faculties. Still, there is enough here for most vampire fans, and fans of the book will enjoy seeing it brought to visual fruition, if a somewhat limited one.
Back to top of Page

Return to Salems Lot
 Return to Salems Lot

Loosely based on Stephen King's novel (the only things in common are the town name and the vampires).

Michael Moriarty plays Joe Weber, a professional anthropologist who returns to the town with his adolescent "troublemaking" son, seeking a house willed to him by his late aunt. What he finds is that his aunt is not at all of 'late', as with the rest of the town she is one of the undead.

The Judge, Axel Page

From Dusk Till Dawn
From Dusk Till Dawn

I couldn't believe how bad this film really was. It was as if Quentin Tarentino lacked an ending to a film and asked John Carpenter to finish it for him. The only thing even remotely good about this film was Salma Hayek, Cheech Marin's hilarious (but patently offensive) speech in front of the vampire bar, and the gorgeous Aztec pyramid matte painting at the end.

A ward of warning however, there are some offensive scenes in here and the movie is alas one of the shoot em up - knock em down films.
Back to top of Page

Kindred-The Embraced
Kindred-The Embraced

The uneasy peace between five tenuously connected clans of vampires in San Francisco is constantly under siege, maintained at cost of "final death" by Julian Luna, a vampire prince who must mete out justice for infractions committed by the Kindred. A chilling, atmospheric, eight-episode series (in three volumes) based on Mark Rein-Hagen's cult novel, "Vampire: The Masquerade."

For vampire lovers, this is a good item for the collection. Although many familiar with White Wolf's Kindred were horrified by the inaccuracies in this series, when viewed separately it stands on its own as an alternative view into the world of the vampire.
Back to top of Page

Fright Night
Fright Night

Holy Cow! What do you do if you're a teenage horror film fan and you realize your new next door neighbor is a vampire? Well if you're Charlie Brewster (William Ragsdale) and you're in this knockout horror movformances from Amanda Bearse as Charlie's girlfriend, Stephen Geoffreys as his weirdo friend Evil Ed, and especially Chris Sarandon as the bloodsucking but smooth vampire, and you have a film guaranteed to knock your socks off! Check it out!

If you're looking for a good, old fashioned vampire frolic, this is a good place to start. This movie has all the traditional elements and it does it in a way that's fun and thoroughly enjoyable. The cinematography is very good for the time, and while the acting can get a bit campy at times, you'll walk away from this one with a smile. Hats off to Chris Sarandon for playing a thoroughly despicable but eminently likeable villain.
Back to top of Page

Fright Night Part 2
Fright Night

In typical Fright Night fashion, this film carries on the tradition of trying to be scary and humorous at the same time, and carries it off without too many hitches. The vampire death scenes were very well done, particularly death by holy water and death by sunlight. We didn't get to enjoy the traditional death by staking scene, but it wasn't an obvious omission. All the traditional trappings of the vampire hunter (and I do mean ALL of them!) were there, and the presence of red roses were as particularly nice touch that you don't always see.

Regine Dandridge, vampire and sister to Jerry Dandridge (the vampire in the first Fright Night), is in town and is seeking revenge against Charley Brewster (William Ragsdale) and Peter Vincent (Roddy McDowall.) And, to make sure the job is done right, she's brought three friends (another vampire, a Renfield-like walking corpse, and a werewolf.)

Story-wise, this film is purely awful and starts with a contrived beginning. After psycho-therapy, Charley Brewster no longer believmes, hard to follow. Since writer/director Tom Holland had no involvement with this sequel, this comes as no surprise. Visually, though, this film isn't bad -- The monster special effects are of better quality than most horror films. The cinematography is rich and establish a Gothic atmosphere.

Come one come all Mortals who are willing to stick their neck out for a vampire to feed upon.  We will be willing to share our Dark Gift to you mortals if you pass our test.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Links