A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Judy Murdoch

Article Title:
What Marketing Do You REALLY Need Right Now?

Article Description:
Many small business owners I talk to always seem to be
playing catch up when it comes to their marketing. Last week
when I told a small business owner that she was doing a good
job with her marketing, she replied "Oh, but I have so much
to do!" in an apologetic tone. Listening to her I felt sad.
I mean who the heck laid down these requirements that a
small business has to have so much in place so fast?

Additional Article Information:
===============================

Distribution Date and Time: 2010-04-22 10:45:00

Written By:     Judy Murdoch
Copyright:      2010
Contact Email:  mailto:j...@judymurdoch.com

For more free-reprint articles by Judy Murdoch, please visit:
http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/judy-murdoch.html

Versions Of Article Are Available at:
http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/m/right-now-marketing.shtml#get_code

What Marketing Do You REALLY Need Right Now?
Copyright (c) 2010 Judy Murdoch
Highly Contagious Marketing
http://www.judymurdoch.com/workbook.htm

Many small business owners I talk to always seem to be playing
catch up when it comes to their marketing.

Last week when I told a small business owner that she was doing a
good job with her marketing, she replied "Oh, but I have so much
to do!" in an apologetic tone.

So I asked her, "What is it that you have to do?"

"Well," she said, "I need to redo my website, write a new
brochure, update my Facebook page, and call clients whom I
haven't seen for a while.

"I'm also wondering, do I need to get a Twitter account and do
I need to have a blog AND a website?"

Listening to her I felt sad. I mean who the heck laid down these
requirements that a small business has to have so much in place
so fast?

=== It Wasn't Always This Way

100 years ago: before there were computers or radio or TV or
desktop publishing, the requirements for being ready for business
were simple and concrete.

For example, let's say you're newly arrived in Denver, CO
around 1890. At this time, the American West is still pretty wild
and there are thousands of people traveling west who need to
supplies and gear for their trek through the mountains

You decide you're going to open a dry goods store and sell
supplies to all these aspiring miners and ranchers.

To have your business up and running you need:

 * land for your shop and a place to store supplies (and city
permits which were required by this time)

 * lumber, equipment, and labor to build your store

 * a source of fresh water

 * fuel to keep the place warm when it gets cold out

 * a dependable source of goods to sell to customers

 * customers (of course!)

Assuming you had the above along with a strong work ethic, some
organization skills, and a grasp of accounting and inventory
management, you had a good chance of succeeding.

I'm not saying this was easy. However the steps and the order in
which you took the steps was clear cut and definite.

=== Nowadays

In our brave new world of the Internet and the ability to connect
with buyers around the world, it has become possible to start a
business with little more than a good idea, a computer, and an
Internet connection.

The promise is that anyone can set up everything they need for a
successful business in a matter of weeks.

And that's the problem.

Because on the one hand, it's true: within a week you could have
your

 * website

 * social network accounts (like Twitter and Facebook)

 * blog

 * and online store

set up and ready for business.

And this is what is so horribly overwhelming for small business
owners. It seems like you should have all these things set up and
if you don't, you're somehow doing it wrong.

=== The Answer: Four Foundational Marketing Elements

This brings us back to the original topic: what marketing tools
and structures do you really need in place so that your business
grows at a healthy pace?

Here are four foundational marketing elements that every business
needs to have in place:

1. You need a clear definition of who you're serving and the
problem you're helping them with.

2. You need a way for strangers to find out who you are and how
you help.

For example, attending networking events, publishing articles,
blogging and contributing to discussion forums are all ways to
introduce yourself

3. You need a way to stay in touch with people who are interested
but not ready to buy.

For example, postcard mailings, newsletters, and ezines are all
ways to keep in touch.

4. You need at least one offer so that when people are ready to
buy, you'll know what customer problems your offer addresses,
what questions to ask to find out if your offer is right for a
prospect, and how to answer prospect questions.

Once you have a good definition of who your ideal customer is,
you choose one, maybe two (at the most) activities for each
element.

=== Example: Applying the Four Marketing Elements

Marianne is a nutritionist who, until recently, worked for a
large university hospital. She's now in the process of setting
up a private practice with the intention to split her time
between seeing private patients and teaching classes.

Here is what Marianne has in place for her marketing:

1. Marianne has defined her ideal client as "adults who were
recently diagnosed with Type II diabetes and want to find ways to
control their blood sugar without using insulin injections."

Marianne specializes in helping her patients plan and carry out
diet and exercise programs that make them less insulin dependent.

2. To meet people who might need her help, Marianne, keeps in
contact with local doctors who are likely to make the initial
diagnosis.

She also writes tips and how-to articles that she publishes on
online article submission sites like Associated Content and
Bukisa.

Marianne makes sure that when someone she meets wants to know
more, they have the URL to a page on her website so they can
subscribe to her newsletter.

3. To keep in touch with people who are interested in what she
does but are not yet ready to make an appointment, Marianne
writes a bi-monthly newsletter she emails to prospects.

In each newsletter she has a useful tip or how to.

She often uses what she's written in a newsletter as an
submission to article publishing sites.

In this way she gets the most from the articles she writes.

4. Marianne's practice is relatively new and she has only one
offer: individual counseling sessions with patients to help them
create and follow diet/exercise plans.

She has one page on her website that covers the main points of
her offer and suggest clients either send in a form or call her
to set up some time to talk by phone.

Because many of her clients are 65+ Marianne has a printed
one-page flyer that has the same information as her website page
in case a prospective client is uncomfortable with using the
Internet.

To summarize, Marianne has set up the following elements to
market her practice:

 * simple website

 * a bi-monthly newsletter

 * scheduled calls to primary care physicians

 * articles (which come mostly from her newsletter) submitted to
online publication sites

Marianne does not have a Twitter account or a Facebook page or a
shopping cart or a blog. She doesn't do podcasts or make videos
to show on YouTube. She could have these things but right now
*she doesn't need to*.

=== Bottom Line

There is a perception among small business owners that they have
to set up and implement hundreds of available marketing
activities in order to be "doing it right."

This is because

 * there are so many different technologies that allow business
owners to connect with prospective customers

 * business owners are always hearing buzz about these
technologies

 * the technologies are often free and easy to implement.

The key is to know what you and your business need to connect
effectively with perspective customers.

Generally you need to set up only one or two activities to get in
touch, keep in touch, and sell in order to keep a healthy stream
of new customers and revenue coming into your small business.

Judy Murdoch helps small business owners create low-cost,
effective marketing campaigns using word-of-mouth referrals,
guerrilla marketing activities, and selected strategic alliances.
To download a free copy of the workbook, "Where Does it Hurt?
Marketing Solutions to the problems that Drive Your Customers
Crazy!" go to http://www.judymurdoch.com/workbook.htm
You can contact Judy at 303-475-2015 or j...@judymurdoch.com

--- END ARTICLE ---

http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/m/right-now-marketing.shtml#get_code

TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
(Last Updated:  May 11, 2006)

  The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

*** Digital Reprint Rights ***

  Hyperlinks (clickable links).

  within the article.

*** Author Notification ***

  or her work. Judy Murdoch can be reached at:
  j...@judymurdoch.com

  for Print Permission at:
  mailto:j...@judymurdoch.com

free tool:  http://thephantomwriters.com/link-builder.pl