A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Larry Tobin

Article Title:
Losing Weight - Weighing In

Article Description:
Part of our ultimate goal in doing all this habit changing
is to lose weight, of course. Part of that is the practice
of weighing in and seeing what our progress has been.
Unfortunately, this is another area where people too
frequently miss out on developing a good habit, and find
instead discouragement and frustration. However, just like
all other problems, there is an explanation and a habit that
can help solve it.

Additional Article Information:
===============================

Distribution Date and Time: 2010-08-05 10:30:00

Written By:     Larry Tobin
Copyright:      2010
Contact Email:  mailto:larry.to...@thephantomwriters.com

For more free-reprint articles by Larry Tobin, please visit:
http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/larry-tobin.html

Versions Of Article Are Available at:
http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/t/losing-weight-weighing-in.shtml#get_code

Losing Weight - Weighing In
Copyright (c) 2010 Larry Tobin
Habit Changer
http://www.HabitChanger.com/

Part of our ultimate goal in doing all this habit changing is to
lose weight, of course. We've talked about making goals and
keeping our eye on them, and how to set achievable benchmarks for
ourselves as we do what we can to make ourselves healthier. Part
of that is the practice of weighing in and seeing what our
progress has been. Unfortunately, this is another area where
people too frequently miss out on developing a good habit, and
find instead discouragement and frustration.

The tricky thing is, sometimes the scale doesn't have good news.
Sometimes we stand on it and we don't see the decrease we want,
or, worse, we see we've picked up a pound somewhere despite all
our hard effort. This is hard to take sometimes, and is one of
the biggest causes of giving up. However, just like all other
problems, there is an explanation and a habit that can help solve
it.

The Weighing Habit Step 1 - Picking the Time

The first problem that tends to come up is setting the wrong time
length for our weigh-in sessions. Eager to see results, we often
start by weighing in every day. On the surface this feels
logical. After all, we keep a daily food journal, make daily
goals into weekly milestones, and try to plan daily meals for
ourselves. However, body weight takes a long time to settle
properly, and can actually fluctuate from day to day. So even
though what we see as an extra pound we've gained between today
and yesterday might not be a permanent thing, seeing it there
causes discouragement.

Instead, set your interval for one week. Don't even look at the
scale in the intervening days! A full week is enough time for
your body to begin responding to changes, so waiting a week lets
your measurements on the scale have more impact. That way the
short term swings and dips don't give you the wrong impression,
and you gain an idea of the way your weight is trending. Also,
make it the same day and time every week, to establish firmly in
your mind that this is a habit to be followed, not something you
squeeze in when you can.

The Weighing Habit Step 2 - Treat it as Information

Information is neither good nor bad; it's just something we can
use — if we're willing. If all goes well and we stick to our
plan, then we should see a steady, downward trend in our weight,
and we can be happy about that. However, if we trend upward for
one week, we shouldn't get too discouraged.

The body responds to all manner of things in its environment.
Some people retain more weight in the winter, and peoples'
metabolisms react strangely to diet changes. If, in fact, you
aren't trending downward, simply accept that it means you need
to either keep at it, or perhaps change something more, instead
of giving up.

The Weighing Habit Step 3 - Keep it Consistent

Gathering information can be tricky, and there are ways to fool
ourselves into thinking we aren't progressing as much as we'd
like. There are elements that can be adjusted or changed in order
to make information-gathering more accurate. These are what
scientists call 'controls,' because they allow someone to keep
control of the information.

First, make sure you weigh in at the same time every week, as we
mentioned earlier. Your body has patterns that it follows, and
may weigh in differently in the morning than at night. Set a
convenient time you know you can meet again and again, and stick
to it.

Second, make sure to weigh in wearing the same clothes, every
time. Your clothes can add a significant weight to any scale you
stand on, so make sure you note down what outfit you're wearing
the first time you weigh in, and wear it every time. This will
make your results more accurate, and help cement the habit of the
matter in your mind.

Third, always use the same scale. Different companies calibrate
their scales to different standards. Broadly speaking, they
should provide similar results, but a digital scale could present
differently than a counterweight scale in a hospital, for
example. So even if you're at a friend's and they have one
handy, don't hop on for a quick check. Stick to your scale, each
and every time.

Fourth, remember your system of rewards. The best way to use the
scale is to integrate it into your whole, habit-building and
habit-changing plan. When you reach a benchmark that you're
proud of, reward yourself somehow with something you enjoy.
Reinforce the positive aspects of reaching your goals, even while
you make sure not to beat yourself up over temporary setbacks.

The scale is a tool. It isn't a judge that we should fear or
feel guilty before. Like any tool, it allows us to address
matters professionally and systematically. Sometimes our weight
will seem higher, other times it will seem to trend lower, and
the scale can help us with that. Don't treat it as something to
dread; learn to use it properly, and it will be a tremendous help
in setting up a good, solid habit.

Larry Tobin is the co-creator of
http://www.HabitChanger.com/ offering effective
and empowering solutions for stopping stress.
Try our 42-day weight loss program.
http://www.habitchanger.com/losingweight

--- END ARTICLE ---

http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/t/losing-weight-weighing-in.shtml#get_code

TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
(Last Updated:  May 11, 2006)

  The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

*** Digital Reprint Rights ***

  Hyperlinks (clickable links).

  within the article.

*** Author Notification ***

  or her work. Larry Tobin can be reached at:
  larry.to...@thephantomwriters.com

  for Print Permission at:
  mailto:larry.to...@thephantomwriters.com

free tool:  http://thephantomwriters.com/link-builder.pl

Article Marketing Ebook at:

*
*
*    thePhantomWriters@yahoogroups.com
*

ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

are owned and operated by:

Bill Platt
3010 E Raintree
Stillwater, Oklahoma USA 74074

and opinion of its author, Larry Tobin
http://www.HabitChanger.com/

To have your article appear in this distribution list,
you must absolutely be a client of thePhantomWriters.

We offer a paid article distribution service, and this
is one of the more than 60 groups where we submit our
client articles. To learn more about our program, visit:

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: