On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:15:14AM +0200, Peter Rosin wrote:
> Den 2009-06-11 11:48 skrev Daniel P. Berrange:

>>> I say we define it as ASCII and have existing code continue working. If
>>> you want anything else, use the DesktopName encoding (which I think we
>>> should define as UTF-8).
>>
>> Or how about we define a psuedo-encoding/extension for the purpose of
>> negiotiating a character set. Once the client/sever agree on a charset
>> it would then apply to all other extensions/messages containing strings.
>> IMHO it makes more sense to have the same charset for all messages, and
>> switch the encoding of the whole connection in one go, than to define
>> different charsets for different messages.
>
> That will have to be a brand new security type as pseudo-encodings are
> after the ServerInit message, which makes it cumbersome. Or? Plus,
> anything other that UTF-8 seems pretty unreasonable. Or did you mean
> that all servers (or clients) *needs* to contain a bunch of conversion
> functions (or add an extra conversion dependency) for various esoteric
> character sets?

I was thinking any charset negotiation, but you're right that it is really
pretty pointless. Just need to get client/server to agree on UTF-8 and
be done with it.

> Having a security type named UTF-8, which simply allowed the client
> to select the "real" security type right after it would perhaps not be
> so difficult.

I've never much liked the idea of stealing security types to negotiate
non-security related features myself. It is pretty trivial to implement
the DesktopName encoding. So if we did it with a pseudo-encoding, the
serverinit message would still be ASCII, but would recommend that the
server send a DesktopName message with the UTF-8 encoded name version.

Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
|: http://freshmeat.net/~danielpb/    -o-   http://gtk-vnc.sourceforge.net :|