jimlux wrote:
J. Forster wrote:
If you like starting from scratch, get a copy of "Procedures in
Experimental Physics" by John Strong.

-John

And, relevant to the thermal time constant discussion.. That book has a great section on thermal diffusion and conductivity, along with a chart of material properties.

A newer book is "building scientific apparatus" by Moore, et al. There's a whole section on precision temperature control (where precision means milliKelvin)..

Yes, it was coauthored by my thesis adviser, CC Davis.  I was working for
him while he was writing his sections.  Never noticed anything of mine in
it, though.

-Chuck Harris