El 09/03/2011 06:29, J. Forster escribió:
This is a surprise:

"in reality more than 90 percent of the users of GPS worldwide use it
primarily for a timing reference."

This is a phallacy, except if we are taking into account indirect GPS users, i.e. admitting that a credit card user is a GPS user because the timestamping of the translation relies on a GPS :) But I suspect that, except in our time-nuts laboratories, the percentage of GPS receivers dedicated to timing compared to those dedicated to positioning is really low. Also, sometimes GPS timing is used because it is unexpensive, but provides an accuracy orders of magnitude better than the real needs (a traffic control radar camera tags the pictures with a one second precision... but uses a GPS, could be tagged with microsecond precission ;) ).

And anyway, in a no-GPS world with real mass high-precission timing needs, other methods could be used... that would suppose a higher demand of Cs clocks and H-masers (so we could buy a good user H-maser for USD100 at the place you all know? mmm... not so bad ;) )

Javier Herrero                            EMAIL: jherr...@hvsistemas.com
Chief Technology Officer
HV Sistemas S.L.                          PHONE:         +34 949 336 806
Los Charcones, 17                         FAX:           +34 949 336 792
19170 El Casar - Guadalajara - Spain      WEB: http://www.hvsistemas.com