On 6/26/11 6:29 PM, Thomas A Frank wrote:

On Jun 25, 2011, at 7:31 PM, Jim Lux wrote:

although it's a lot easier if one of the links is down and they're running with
the ocean return path.

Ocean return path?  Please say more.

I picture a gigantic carbon electrode stuck in the ocean by a power station - rather like
the core of a really large "D" cell.

Not far from the truth, actually.. cast iron electrodes at the north end buried in a 2 mile diameter ring. iron alloy electrodes in concrete in the ocean at the south end..

Electrodes  :

At Celilo : the ground electrode is located 10.6 km from the converter station, in Rice Flates. The electrode is designed as a ring type 3255 m circumference, 1067 cast iron anodes, and 2' X 2' coke backfill is used. Total resistance in 2 parallel electrode lines and ground electrode = 0.43 ohms.

At Sylmar : the sea electrode is located 48 km from the converter station, in the Pacific Ocean and consists of a linear array of 24 horizontal electrode elements made up of silicon-iron alloy rods suspended 0.5 to 1 m above the ocean bottom and located within concrete enclosures. Total resistance in 2 parallel electrode lines and sea electrode = 1.13 ohms.

That sounds like a recipe for excitement - DC current into seawater should
generate hydrogen on one and and oxygen on the other electrode.  At 3000 amps,
rather a lot of it.

I imagine they keep the current density low enough that the gas is absorbed into the water as it's evolved. But yes.. a fascinating concept.

And I'm curious where, exactly, that DC line to the ocean runs. (since I live between Sylmar and the ocean, as do about 10 million other people)

I guess I can draw a circle of radius 48km  from Sylmar..

At Sylmar : 2 X 644 mm2 ACSR conductors in parallel are used for the first 35 km, supported by the 230 kV line towers. For the remaining 13 km, two parallel paper-insulated underground cables are used, each with a 633 mm2 Cu-conductor.

I just have to look for a set of towers with a single duplex cable.

(actually a bit of googling found a report

www.kentercanyon.org/index.php/download-public-docs/doc/25/raw

)