On 6/27/11 9:43 AM, Mark Spencer wrote:

I'm not sure if the results I am seeing are  valid or not.    My signal source
is a 16 volt doorbell transformer that feeds a voltage divider which in turn
feeds my 5370B with an approx 2 volt sine wave.   Setting the trigger point on
the 5370B to 0 volts appears to provide the best results and the sine wave from
the voltage divider looks to be clean on my scope.  But I'm wondering if changes
in line voltage could be confusing things.

That's sort of why I was thinking of the sound card approach.. you sample it, fit a sinusoid, and get the zero crossing time from the parametric fit.

Doorbell transformers have a lot of leakage inductance to limit the current (so that shorting the output doesn't burn it up)