On 7/14/11 10:54 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
In message<3209.12.6.201.213.1310686158.squir...@popaccts.quikus.com>, "J. For
ster" writes:

If you got all the Chinese to just stand on a chair, it would increase the
Moment of Inertia of the earth a smitch, and it would slow the rotation
because of the Conservation of Angular Momentum.

1. It's not obvious that there are that many chairs in China.

2. It really does not change the momentum that much:

        m(pop,china) = 1.5e9 * 50kg = 7.5e10 kg
        m(earth)     = 5.97e24 kg

A ratio of roughly 8e13...

At first I thought, hey, we measure ADEV variations of that sort of the level. But then, I remembered that not only is the mass small, but the radius change is small. maybe a meter out of almost 7 million.

So now we're at an effect of one part in, say, 1E19.

I think to do this kind of thing on a detectable scale with manmade cause, we'll need to resort to some serious terraforming (bwahaha.. project plowshare, here I come)