Yes, that is one of the original 1843 dipleidoscope designs. All the original black finish seems to have been polished away, however.

This original design used a lot of expensive brass. Later models used a cast brass "{scroll" base and a dipleidoscope body machined from a round brass bar; this could be used for either the British Isles or for the India model.

Larry