Heather's gotta work with XP (and maybe Win98)...  too many people (including
me) run it on old trashy laptops, so no fancy pants new fangled Windoze calls
allowed...

In the past I've avoided the use of QueryPerformanceCounter due to potential
issues with AMD processors, multi-core processors and multi-processor systems,
inaccurate/invalid reported CPU clock frequency (TSC tick count divisor)
values,  variable clock rate systems, etc.   I'm now back to using it, but have
added an option for switching back to GetTickCount() and it's 16 msec
granularity.  I'm getting very good results so far.