I just did a test on my cheapest (3 for $15-$20) GPS module... a V.KEL Sirf III
receiver.   Indoors, on the lower level floor, away from windows, etc.   I was
getting 25-35 dBc levels with the patch antenna properly oriented.  With the
module flipped over and the antenna surface on a hardwood floor (and the
circuit board/GPS can pointing to the sky and shielding the antenna), signals
were around 6 dBc lower.  The receiver was even tracking sats that were below
12 dBc.  GPS receivers have come a long way in the last few years...