On Mon, 10 Oct 2022, Brooks Alex wrote:

Hi. Tinc have proxy settings:
Proxy = socks4 | socks5 | http | exec ... [experimental]
            Use a proxy when making outgoing connections.  The following proxy
types are currently supported:

            socks5 address port [username password]
                    Connect to the proxy using the SOCKS version 5 protocol.
If a username and password are given, basic user‐
                    name/password authentication will be used, otherwise no
authentication will be used.

But when i try to pop connection via tor proxy i have problem:
Error looking up *****.onion port ****:
Could not set up a meta connection to zero

As i understand tinc tries to resolve onion address by default dns server (not
by tor proxy). Any idea? Client using win7.

// Im sorry if message doubled.

Hi,

I can't tell, whether tinc's dns resolver can be configured to use the socks tunnel itself. One solution without touching tinc is to run a dns server yourself, that forwards requests for .onion domains to tor. With bind, this would look something like:

zone "onion" IN {
    type forward;
    forward only;
    forwarders {
        127.0.0.1 port 9053;
    };
};

and in torrc, you would need something like:

DNSPort 127.0.0.1:9053

to actually serve dns requests on port 9053. Note, that I run this setup (but on linux), and note, that bind, tor and tinc can run on different machines or the same machine (adapt ip addresses accordingly, of course).

HTH,
Erich