Ok, I will try, here. I am using TinyOS-2.x, so I will only comment on this version.
Correct me if I have misunderstood.

a normal C function is really like a private function to your TinyOS application (thread return until a function is finished), while a task (you can post it, thread return immediately) is a special function that add a process to the processor scheduler for later execution.

Note:
In TinyOS 2.x, a basic post will only fail if and only if the task has already been posted and has not started execution. And there will be fewer than 255 tasks in the system.

for more info, please refer to http://www.tinyos.net/tinyos-2.x/doc/html/tep106.html

regards;

Peizhao

Roberto wrote:
Hi all,
I read the tutorials on tinyos-2.x but i still haven't understood the difference between a function (in C style) and a task
Does anyone explain me this difference, please?
Thanks in advance

--
Platform: Linux Fedora
TinyOS version: 2.x