Before we start engaging in "Who's got the Biggest Grade Inflation
Problem", perhaps it should be noted that grade inflation is a
widespread phenomenon, why it even occurs in *GASP!*
Canada!  Certainly not definitive but one should take a look at
the Wikipedia entry on grade inflation (standard disclaimers apply):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_inflation

>From the Wiki entry it seems that one solution to the problem is
simply having the department/division/school/"whoever has the
authority" to mandate that only a certain percentage of each
grade can be given in a course.  One can use a normal curve
to justify such a scheme (but one will have problems with such
a justification) or other criteria such as "no more than 15% of
a class can be 'A' ".  Ties on the borderline will simply have
to cry about it.  Some people will probably applaud this
solution, some will say that it is worse than the problem it
addresses.  I guess it all has to do with how one thinks about
the distribution of intelligence in our students, how many
really "deserve" a certain grade, how many do work"we"
are satistfied with, etc.

Personal Anecdote Department:  back some time in 1990s
I remember reading an article (popular magazine, not a journal)
about grade inflation at, I believe, Stanford (though it may have
been one of the Ivy League schools).  Apparently students
were receiving only As and Bs in courses.  The reason for this
appeared to be that student could drop a course without
consequence up to the 12th or so week in the semester.
So, students who saw that they were failing going in the final
weeks could drop the course with their G.P.A. unaffected.

I think that they changed the policy after it became public but
my memory isn't so good on that point.

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu