I've been wondering about the whole grade inflation idea, as have all of
you, for years.

In light of this, I'm curious how all of you grade, and thus if you might
be *seen* to be guilty, based on the grades in your courses.  We all know
that some years you just seem to have a lot of bright, hard-working
achievers, and some years you don't.

So....do you think it's acceptable, worthwhile and ethical for us to compare
grades?  I'll be the first to offer my gradebook, from the last several
years and from three different colleges, but only if you all agree that it's
something to consider and would be a worthwhile topic.  Naturally, names of
students shouldn't be used, nor should the names of the colleges.  (I've
actually taught at five different colleges in the last nine years and I
could pull up grades from all of them.  And I would not divulge which grades
came from where.  Perhaps, in the interest of anonymity, if you've only
taught at one college and recoil at the thought of having your home base
publicized, you could ask another member of TIPS to post your grades without
your name.  This is particularly important to consider knowing that TIPS is
able to be viewed by anyone.  While it might not be unethical to post grades
that are known to come from just one school, it would be likely to be
insensitive to the administration.)

Also, if there is such a thing as grade inflation, it shouldn't matter
whether you teach at a high school, a community college, a 4-year college,
university, etc.  Grade inflation *appears* to exist everywhere.

So what think you, colleagues?  If you think it's a good idea, let's do it.
 But if I've overlooked some slumbering dragon, then I'll let this idea die.

Beth Benoit
Granite State College (now)
Plymouth State University (now)
and three others I shall not name...