On 23 Dec 2009 at 12:04, Ken Steele asked me:

> The name of the school is Bishop's University
>
> but the email address is ubishops.ca.  Why isn't the address
> bishopsu.ca?

You've heard of YouTube? Then why not ubishops?

If you don't like that explanation, here's another. In Quebec,
public signs in English are allowed, but the French must be
"markedly predominant" over the English
(http://tinyurl.com/yjcvh5l ), usually satisfied by putting the
French first and/or making it larger.  So Bishop's is first of all the
Universite Bishop's, and only then Bishop's University.  The rest
is left as an exercise for the reader.

A graduate of Bishop's contributed this query:

> It gets worse than that, Ken. There were two bishops involved.
> So it should be Bishops' University. :-)

The smiley from Chris suggests this is not to be taken seriously.
But just in case it is, it is not my understanding.  Bishop's did
have two co-founders in 1843, one a bishop with the
magnificent name of George Jehoshaphat Mountain, the third
Anglican Bishop of Quebec. The other was not a bishop but an
Anglican priest with a less impressive name, Doolittle, Lucius
Doolittle (which I hope amused the students). So I believe there
was only one bishop involved.

Notwithstanding,  Bishop's was secularized in 1947 (meaning
we became a public institution) with no remaining ties to the
Anglican Church except history (and a curious position known
as the Visitor).

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University