On 25 Dec 2009 at 15:14, Jim Clark wrote:

> Interesting article about psychologist David Boder's interviews with
> displaced persons (holocaust survivors)
> in Feb 2010 issue (#9) of Knowledge magazine (a product of BBC).  Interviews
> were obtained shortly after WW
> II ended.  Information is available at the following link, although it is not
> working (for me) at this
> moment:
>
> http://voices.iit.edu

Thanks, Jim. I couldn't obtain an on-line version of the article,
and our library doesn't subscribe to Knowledge magazine. But I
was able to access the iit website. The story of this material is
very interesting, and the interviews moving.

It's a large project. After browsing the site, I can recommend the
following for a relatively brief overview of it:

>From the main page, go to "About the project"  and click on "In
the news". Scroll down for a 4-minute video on the project
reported by Fox News in 2007, with limited information.

http://voices.iit.edu/project_news

A longer and more interesting presentation (22 minutes) is an
American Life programme in 2001 (from PBS in the USA) which
was the first to actually broadcast from the wire recordings of
the interviews.

The link which appears farther down the page won't get you
there, though, but only to the current American Life. You can get
there either by searching at that point on "Boder" or going here:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=95
9 or http://tinyurl.com/yg8hwq6

Two notes on this presentation, titled 197: Before it had a name.
First, it begins with a story about cow farming. The Boder story
starts a little after the six-minute mark.

Second, as this was an early account, some of the details
relating to Boder seem sparse and perhaps confused. The
interview clips and the commentary on them are nevertheless
very interesting.  However, it's best to then read the biography of
Boder also on the voices webpage. Click on "About the Project",
then "David Boder" or go to http://voices.iit.edu/david_boder

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University