Hi

Inside Higher Ed had a brief blurb on lack of relationship between use of
social media (e.g., facebook) and grades.  See:

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/12/28/qt#216242

Here is link to summary of study (a student project):

http://www.unh.edu/news/docs/UNHsocialmedia.pdf

I thought it might be useful for evaluation.  Here are some of my thoughts,
which I posted in comment:

"According to the summary report linked to in the social media article, use of
such media varied by faculty.  Namely, there were more heavy users from Liberal
Arts and more light users from Engineering.  No indication in the article that
this factor was controlled in grade comparisons, despite possibility that it
would (arguably) be easier to get high grades in some faculties than others.
Also treatment of social media use as a binary categorical variable could
easily mask meaningful patterns (e.g., drop in grades with extremely high use).
 Finally, students might self-regulate media use depending on their grades,
suggesting that it would not be safe for individual students to assume that
they could increase their use without any impact on their grades (i.e., reverse
causality as explanation for non-relationship observed by students)."

Project appears to have been undertaken by students in a business school ... no
wonder our economies are in such bad shape! [only partly a joke ... I don't
think business schools have taken enough flack for collapse of economy]

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax