From: Paul Brandon [paul.bran...@mnsu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 1:19 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] Stats on airplane terrorism

Not to mention the risks of being killed by an infected cheeseburger.
We cheerfully tolerate many higher but less dramatic risks than 'terrorism'.

On Dec 29, 2009, at 12:03 AM, Christopher D. Green wrote:

Here are some statistics on the probability of being the (attempted) victim of
terrorism on a commercial flight that may make for interesting discussion in
your courses:
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/12/odds-of-airborne-terror.html

Here's the best bit: "the odds of being on given departure which is the subject
of a terrorist incident have been 1 in 10,408,947 over the past decade. By
contrast, the odds of being struck by lightning in a given year are about 1 in
500,000. This means that you could board 20 flights per year and still be less
likely to be the subject of an attempted terrorist attack than to be struck by
lightning."

Paul Brandon
Emeritus Professor of Psychology
Minnesota State University, Mankato