I agree with Tim and John. I covered those grouped distributions
half-heartedly the first time I taught stats, in 1988, and haven't touched
'em since. It seems pretty shady (the implication that you're finding some
nice specific number despite the unreasonable assumptions), and it's VERY
low on the list of things they're likely to ever use again. Besides all of
that, students hate it, and it makes them hate the other, much more useful
stuff as well.

I do make students do calculations by hand (median, sd, etc.) on raw data
despite the fact that they'll usually use SPSS to compute those things. I do
it because I strongly believe that they should know where the numbers come
from even when using a computer to get 'em. But I assume that also means
that they're not likely to encounter much in the way of grouped data. Sure,
I can think of some situations in which they might (secondary analyses of
previously grouped data), but I've noticed that those things seem to make
students thing that it's _desirable_ to group data, even when there is no
reason to do so. When they design surveys, students tend to want to ask age
or number of children (for example) using ranges (which is just simply
wrong, in my opinion, given that people can easily tell you their exact age
or number of children, so you get good data). When they code good data
(exact number of children, for example), they STILL want to come up with
ranges (in short, to simply throw away good data, by created grouped data).
I'm in favor of doing whatever I can to nip that whole thing in the bud, and
ignoring the whole grouped data thing seems like a good place to start.

(let the stoning begin... <grin>)

Paul Smith
Alverno College
Milwaukee