I'm not as shocked as Robin and David.  After all, we have grown up (or at
least been educated) with this kind of description.  I'm not sure how it
should have been worded to not sound like jargon but still get the job
done...

"number of men who beat their wives"?
    no, you can't say that because they were not necessarily their wives
"number of men who beat their partners"
    well, they didn't necessarily "beat."  Besides, "beat" is a subjective
    term...how much aggression is necessary before it becomes a "beating"?

And then you have to differentiate between
   "number of females who (whatever) their (whatevers)"

I think the language might sound a little distancing, but I still vote for
it, and don't see the problem unless maybe you read it out loud.  Still,
it's the way to write scientifically...

Beth Benoit
University System of New Hampshire