At 10:11 AM 4/9/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Some time ago there was a message about a student program this
>summer.  I think it was in North Carolina and may have involved
>getting credit in abnormal.  I printed it out, took it to my
>classes, and after no one spoke up I tossed it.  Now I have a
>student asking about it.  I looked in the Tips archives for all
>of the terms that I thought might be relevant, but didn't find
>it.  If anyone has the message or remembers some critical
>information that would help locating it in the archives I would
>appreciate hearing from you.
>
>Thanks,
>
>--
>__ Rick Stevens
>__ Psychology Department
>__ University of Louisiana at Monroe
>__ http://www.ulm.edu/~stevens

Rick:

You're probably referring to the Davidson-Broughton Program, operated
jointly by Davidson College and Broughton Hospital. Over the years we have
had a number of students participate in it, with uniformly excellent
reviews of the experience. The message from Ruth Ault is listed below
(though I got this copy from the PsychTeach list). (Unfortunately, the
application deadline was April 1. But for future reference....)

Colleagues,
Please call the following program to the attention of your sophomore and
junior psychology majors.
Davidson College sponsors an eight-week summer program for
undergraduates which includes coursework and an internship at Broughton
Hospital in Morganton, N.C., a state psychiatric facility serving
western North Carolina. Students complete two course credits in the
areas of abnormal/clinical psychology. One is a regular classroom course
that meets weekly. This course, taught by a Davidson College regular
faculty member, will either be Abnormal Psychology (PSY 231) or Tutorial
(PSY 330),  depending on whether a student has previously taken a course
in abnormal psychology. In addition, students take Abnormal Psychology
Practicum (PSY 290) which includes working in the hospital 20-25 hours
per week and meeting weekly, times to be arranged once the class arrives
in Morganton. This course is taught by a private practitioner. The
program will run from May 28 to July 19, 2002.

Participants work with hospital professionals as observers and
assistants in patient treatment programs. Field trips to other
institutions in the area are included and participation in research may
be arranged for qualified students. Service to the hospital is an
important aspect of all placement options. In past years placement
options have included the Divisions of Adult Admissions, Psychiatric
Rehabilitation, Adolescence, and Geropsychiatry.
For more information, visit the department webpage:
http://www.davidson.edu/academic/psychology/psych.htm and link to
Davidson-Broughton. The application form is also there. Deadline: APRIL
1, 2002.

Dr. Ruth L. Ault
Maddrey Professor and Chair of Psychology
Davidson College
P.O. Box 6904
Davidson, NC 28035-6904
ph: (704) 894-2885