Hello all,

I know the list just had a good discussion on this issue,
but thought I'd share an experience that happened in my
class this morning.  This is an Intro Psychology course with
about 310 students, and I've only been teaching for just
over 2 years now.  But, I've also had small classes,
as low as 50, and in the case of one high school section,
only 12.  The noise factor and classroom management obviously
becomes more of a problem the larger the class.

Now, for this particular class, only into our sixth meeting now,
I've noticed the problem getting worse, that is, general classroom
noise.  My requests to reduce the noise level in class seem to be
having less and less of an effect.  Part of the problem I know is
me, as I'm fairly soft-spoken and do not present a very threatening
presence.

I've also noticed that classroom chatter seems to increase
during periods of class discussion, when lecturing stops, and students
are answering questions, and discussing a particular issue that I've
presented to them.  Several times today I had to ask the class to quiet
down so that I could hear the student talking.  Finally, after doing
this about 6 or 7 times, one student at the back of the classroom stood
up and asked to speak, although not to me.  He politely reminded the
class that he had paid a lot of money to take this course, and said
that he could not hear a thing that was being said in class, which
resulted in applause and cheers from a large number of students.
After that, the room was silent.  But, again, I'm certain the problem
will continue.

Now, I'd hate to eliminate the open classroom style
and discussion and debate by presenting students with so many notes to
take that they won't have time to talk to one another?  Or, perhaps I
could employ this same student to make casual reminders like today
when the need arises?!

Again, I know there were some excellent suggestions already made prior
to this on this list, but if anyone else has any other suggestions
or advice on handling noise in large classrooms and classroom management,
I'd love to hear them!

Regards,
Mike Lee

Department of Psychology