On 7 November Rick Stevens quoted a reader’s comment in New Scientist
concerning explanations for infantile amnesia:

>This ties in with Freud's "selective-reconstruction" model, where
>early memories remain outside our conscious awareness because of
>a failure of translation between lower and higher-order levels of
>cognitive processing.

Insofar as this sentence relates at all to anything that Freud actually
proposed, this again sounds like ritually invoking Freud for some general
idea (the process of reconstructing narrative memory), although it
predates Freud, and was used by him in a highly specific way that few
people would accept. Freud’s explanation for infantile amnesia was
originally that it was the result of repression, the concealing from the
child himself “the beginnings of his own sexual life”, the most important
aspect of which was infantile masturbation (“Three Essays on the Theory of
Sexuality”). Later the emphasis changed to the repression of memories of
the male child’s lusting after his mother and homicidal hatred of his
father. Both explanations are essentially evidence-free, though the later
one in particular was inevitably ‘corroborated’ by the interpretation of
dreams and “transferences”.

Incidentally, Freud’s theories of infantile psychosexual development were
predominantly based on males for the first thirty years of psychoanalytic
history. This is strange (or perhaps not), when one considers that in the
early days of psychoanalysis most of his patients were women, and that his
analytic technique for accessing the contents of the Unconscious was
gender-neutral.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Dept
Southwark College, London