Title: Re: Kohlberg/usefulness vs.historical
Nancy brings up an interesting point, for which yet another tangential thought is whether we should teach things in psychology based on their usefulness to our students or the fact that they have a historical place in psychology.

How relevant is Freud in the field of psychology anymore?  I haven't seen Harlow in textbooks in years, yet I still like to tell the story of his research because I think it's classic and students are interested.  Ditto Seligman's pioneering research for learned helplessness.  I had a swell time trying to find a picture of a shuttle box so I could explain how Seligman did his study.  (It was either that or subject my students to my pitiful attempt at drawing one.)  Finally found a drawing of one online - in pink!  (I used it anyhow.)

I vote for a bit of each - usefulness and classics.  Ah, the true Greek Ideal.  And of course our own aspiration for psychology is that the classics commingle with usefulness.

In anticipation that this might become a new thread, I'm going to tentatively relabel the subject heading on this post.

Beth Benoit
University System of New Hampshire