John Kulig wrote:
> Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Stephen Rose's writings. Whatever
> his criticisms, they must be squared with the fundamental fact that
> intelligence test scores (specifically, the 'g' component, not the stuff
> we memorize in school for the tests) correlates strongly with real-world
> success across a broad spectrum. Sorry if I repeated things earlier in
> the history of this thread.

Rose is an eminent researcher into the biochemistry of memory, but also
writes on more general subjects relating to science and society. Some idea
of his basic position can be seen from Richard Dawkins’s tongue-in-cheek
opening paragraphs (immediately below) in his review of *Not in Our Genes:
Biology, Ideology and Human Nature* (1985) by Steven Rose, Leon J. Kamin
and R.C. Lewontin (quotations in inverted commas are from the book under
review):

Those of us with time to concentrate on our historic mission to exploit
workers and oppress minorities have a great need to “legitimate” our
nefarious activities. The first legitimator we came up with was religion,
which has worked pretty well through most of history but, “the static
world of social relations legitimated by God reflected, and was reflected
by, the dominant view of the natural world as itself static”.

Latterly there has been an increasing need for a new legitimator. So we
developed one: Science: “The consequence was to change finally the form of
the legitimating ideology of bourgeois society. No longer able to rely
upon the myth of a deity ... the dominant class dethroned God and replaced
him with science ... If anything this new legitimator of the social order
was more formidable than the one it replaced ...Science is the ultimate
legitimator of bourgeois ideology.”

Legitimation is also the primary purpose of universities:

“ . . . it is universities that have become the chief institutions for the
creation of biological determinism ...Thus. universities serve as
creators, propagators, and legitimators of the ideology of biological
determinism. If biological determinism is a weapon in the struggle between
classes, then the universities are weapons factories, and their teaching
and research faculties are the engineers. designers, and production
workers.”

(From New Scientist, 24 January 1985)

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department