>On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:15:29 -0700 (PDT) Robin Abrahams
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote.
>TIPSters--
>
>I'm working on a lecture for my general psychology class about drugs. While
the textbook we have (Wood & Wood) accurately represents the physiological
effects of drugs, I think it's intellectually dishonest in the extreme in
how it presents the realities of drug use. The morality and effect of drugs
is represented entirely as a function of a drug's legal status: legal drugs
= good, illegal = bad. No attention whatsoever to set and setting, or to
factors that predict casual use--they present drug use as either abstention
or addict-rolling-in-the-gutter: you're either Donny Osmond or Chris
Farrell. (What a heinous choice.)

>I'm certainly not about to tell my students to go take illegal drugs, but I
don't want to give some damned Nancy Reagan PSA either. I'd like them to get
a more realistic sense of drug use, the differences within cultures, the
hypocrisy of the underground marijuana economy, and so on. Can any of you
recommend some readings? I've already assigned a chapter of Zinberg's "Set &
Setting," and will probably be reading some from Eric Schlosser's "Reefer
Madness," too. Any other suggestions?

>This kneejerk "speed kills" presentation in a textbook that I otherwise
really like has me so upset I don't even want to talk like a pirate anymore.

>Robin

   I normally approach drug use from the point of view of mankind's search
for an altered state of consciousness.I show the connection between
drug use ,religion and medicine.It maybe out of print,but you may want to
check THE PLEASURE SEEKERS by Joel Fort and some of Weil's text.
I also interject the idea that the United States is the world's most
doped up society and one factor could be our highly domesticated
existence and to problems brought about by our negative attitudes toward
boredom
and discomfort.

Michael Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida