Annette has reminded me that London Times articles are not available
online outside the UK without a subscription, so here is the first article
cited above. It's on the op-ed page, and is by Mick Hume, editor of
spiked-online <www.spiked-online.com>

London Times December 22, 2003

These meanies won’t be happy until it’s the last No¨l
Mick Hume

What is the proper form of seasonal address in 2003? Merry Christmas?
Season’s greetings? Happy holidays? Or how about, to rework a classic
song: “Have Yourself a Miserable Little Xmas”? That comes closer to
capturing the official spirit of the season.

For years our society seemed unsure whether Christmas should be a
religious festival or a Bacchanalian knees-up. Now we have an answer: it
is to be neither. Christians are no longer supposed to display religious
convictions, for fear of offending others. But the rest of us are not
meant to enjoy ourselves either, in case it risks public health, wealth
and safety. No¨l, no faith, no fun; ‘tis the season of miserabilism to all
men.

After Tessa Jowell, the Culture Secretary, caused a stir by sending out
cards with no mention of Christmas, her departmental spokesman explained
that they had agonised over whether to “go down the Christmas route” with
their, er, Christmas cards, but had decided that would be “inappropriate”.
Then a church in Buckinghamshire was banned from advertising carol
services in a local library, because the Tory council insisted it cannot
promote a “religious preference group”.

Our Labour-led council in London sent around a magazine reminding us that
“the real festive season” involves all manner of religious festivals. The
magazine’s cover carried symbols of every celebrating religion — except
Christianity. Inside it pointed out that Christmas had simply taken over
the pagan festival of Saturnalia, before hastily adding that this is still
celebrated “in some parts of the borough today” — no doubt to avoid
offending the local Pagan community.

Even to a Christmas card-carrying atheist like me, this Christophobia is
nothing to celebrate. The people who come up with these strange bans are
sometimes compared with the Puritans. But their petty gestures are a far
cry from Cromwell’s ban on Christmas festivities. He did it out of
religious conviction, believing it to be sacrilegious on such a solemn day
as the birth of the Saviour. They do it because they have no convictions,
religious or secular, and want to treat society like a family gathering
where you avoid mentioning anything controversial.

So has Jesus lost out to the devils of indulgence in the battle for
Christmas? Hardly. There is plenty of seasonal consumerism, of course, but
precious little hedonism. Instead, breast-beating Christmas miserabilism
infects the non-religious aspects of the holidays too.

We have been warned about the Christmas dangers of credit card debt and
domestic violence, of bug-infested turkeys and killer toys, of date-rape
drugs and binge drinking, of suicide and insanity. The Royal Society for
the Prevention of Accidents informs us that “Christmas trees, lights,
trimmings and turkeys will be among the things turning seasonal
merrymaking into misery and mayhem”. The charity Allergy UK adds that many
are now allergic to Christmas: “For some people it can make life a
complete misery” — unlike all this doom-mongering, presumably. “Even going
to the pub can be difficult as there might be peanuts on the bar.”

So you can’t go out for fear of peanuts, and can’t stay in because the
turkey might get you. It is almost enough to make one echo the commander
of a US military base near Southampton, ordering his 200 British civilian
staff to attend the Christmas party. “If you feel like I am trying to
force FUN upon you,” he told them, “then you are correct.”

All this miserabilism suggests that a society that has long since lost
faith in God is now near to giving up on humanity, too. The authorities
fear that we are meek little lambs who cannot be trusted to cope with
“offensive” beliefs, or with the temptations of the flesh, especially at
Christmas — a time which is still seen to embody “the hopes and fears of
all the years”, except without the “hopes” part.

During the festival of Saturnalia a Lord of Misrule presided and all of
the conventions of the rest of the year were turned on their head. Maybe
it is time to bring him back — except that the Government would issue
advice for a “Safe Saturnalia”, and there would be calls to ban any
mention of Bacchus as offensive to the anorexic, obese and alcoholic
communities.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London