> It always seems that it's the students that I don't want to call
> me by my first name that do and the ones I don't care about,
> don't. My .02,

I feel the same way.  Some of my best and favorite students call me
"Dr." whereas the ones that give me the most headaches call me by my
first name.  Maybe it's because the ones that really like us (who are
also probably the ones that we really like) want to show us respect by
calling us "Dr."

On a related note, how many of you sign your emails with "Dr. <last
name>"?  I sign mine "Rod" but people still usually write back to me as
"Dr. Hetzel."  For some reason it just feels strange to sign my name as
"Dr. Hetzel" on an email.

What do all of you do?

Dr. Hetzel

:)