As chair of our IRB I have sometimes done the same thing, especially if the
measures send up a red flag somehow. If the measures are reliable and valid
then this is an extremely easy task. If they are not, then even in a minimum
risk study you are abusing your participants if you are asking them to give up
their time and energy on a useless task.

As a psychologist I find I am more mindful of such issues than my colleagues
from other disciplines. Some of them--especially from the 'hard' sciences--seem
clueless about tests even having reliability and validity. I don't think the
IRB has gone wild at all. It is doing its job. This should be easily
accomplished and easily remedied.

If that was the only thing problematic with the proposal I would have marked it
as 'approved pending modifications" then usually within a day of getting the
requested information would have gotten back to the researcher and told them it
was approved. At least at our school it is not a big hassle. Over the years of
doing such things I find most researchers end up grateful for the heads-up on a
problem with their studies--it boils down to "it's not what you say but how you
say it".

Annette

Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> Our relatively new IRB has sent back a proposal from a colleague.   The IRB
> refuses to evaluate the proposal without the author addressing issues of
> RELIABILITY and VALIDITY of measures.   I find this to be a bit scary.
> While I
> feel that the IRB is properly charged with evaluating the risk to
> participants
> using a given method, I do not feel that the IRB has any place evaluating the
>
> appropriateness of the method beyond the evaluation of risk...especially in
> cases with minimum risk.   My contention is that the reliabilty and validity
> of
> measures should be outside the perview of the IRB unless risk levels exceed
> minimum and a cost/benefit decision must be discussed.
>
> Thoughts?   Can anyone help me out here?
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Department of Psychology
University of San Diego
5998 Alcala Park