A colleague has alerted me to a remarkable on-line essay. The subject
is the infamous Tuskegee study of untreated syphilis in Black men in
Alabama, carried out between 1932 and 1972. My knowledge of this
study is limited, but I'm aware, along with most people,  that it's
considered one of the most shameful episodes in American scientific
history.

Some believe that the subjects of the study were deliberately
infected with syphilis, which is untrue. Yet even that scientists
would stand by and allow the untreated progress of a dread disease in
poor, uneducated members of a minority group solely to obtain
information about its effects bears comparison with the atrocities
committed by the Nazis.

Consequently,  "Tuskegee" today is a synonym for grieviously
misguided science and racism, and is often invoked as a reason why we
must have institutional review boards to safeguard against such
perversions of science. Indeed, on May 16, 1997, President Clinton
issued a formal apology to the surviving participants of the study on
behalf of the United States Government.(see
http://www.med.virginia.edu/hslibrary/historical/apology/whouse.html)

Why talk about Tuskegee and this particular essay on TIPS? Well,
aside from the fact that I've always appreciated that this list has a
refreshing tolerance for important topics even if marginally related
to the teaching of psychology, it does have relevance. It concerns
experimental design, racism in science, and the ethics of
experimentation. The essay itself brilliantly illustrates one of the
themes that comes up repeatedly in our discussions: the need for
critical evaluation of received wisdom, no matter how well-accepted.

This essay does challenge received wisdom regarding the Tuskegee
study. What its author, Richard Shweder, calls a "counter-narrative"
has three main themes:

a) that a concerned, ethically-responsible, fully-informed researcher
back in the 1930s may well have judged the Tuskegee study to be
ethically acceptable and free of racism

b) that the study may not have caused harm to those who participated
in it

c) that we must be cautious in using our present-day standards to
judge the decisions of the past and on that basis to condemn them

These conclusions may seem outrageous to those who have heard of the
study and who may suspect that the essay is an apology for racism.
But it's no blogger's rant. It's a careful examination of what is
known about Tuskegee in a balanced, impartial manner free of
preconceived notions. Richard A. Shweder is a respected academic, a
"cultural anthropologist" at the University of Chicago (see
http://humdev.uchicago.edu/shweder.html);  the essay originated in an
invited address to the _Philosophy of Education Meetings_; he thanks
other recognized scholars; and he  specifically recommends the reader
consult another scholar who is a critic of his "counter-analysis". He
also references his essay.

Enough from me. The essay's at
 http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/0000000CA34A.htm

It's long but well worth reading, a persuasive, radically different
interpretation of an event whose significance I thought was settled
long ago. His view deserves to be better known and debated.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.            tel:  (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Department of Psychology         fax:  (819) 822-9661
Bishop's  University           e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Dept web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
TIPS discussion list for psychology teachers at
 http://faculty.frostburg.edu/psyc/southerly/tips/index.htm