So what can be done to make this point the focus of the media response to the "30% of studies are wrong" story (rather than the "some studies were too small", the "some studies were deliberately manipulated by the drug companies" and the "and therefore we shouldn't trust research at all, and go with our intuitions instead" responses)?

Paul Smith
Alverno College
Milwaukee

Stephen Black wrote:

My suggestion is that the problem lies with the original work being correlational and the later work randomized. Note that for one of the studies, the claim is for a "more rigorous" study. It's dismaying how the literature (medical and psychological) is stuffed with studies drawing causal conclusions from correlational data. Oh, they usually bury a disclaimer somewhere in their paper, but that's not what they emphasize in their conclusions and that's not what they say when they talk to the press.

Consequently, the chickens come home to roost when a randomized study is done.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.            tel:  (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Department of Psychology         fax:  (819) 822-9661
Bishop's  University           e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Dept web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
TIPS discussion list for psychology teachers at
http://faculty.frostburg.edu/psyc/southerly/tips/index.htm _______________________________________________