Rick Stevens wrote:

> Maybe we could get a bunch of psychometricians together to go to Kansas and
> administer IQ tests.

I understand the frustration behind this, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to
find that the 6 board members who voted against science teaching have IQs as
high as the 4 who voted in favor of science teaching. Furthermore, I think we
risk contributing to the problem if we continue to refer to this kind of thing
as a matter of low intelligence, simply because I think we're wrong about that.
I am fairly sure that the problem is more the product of misplaced goals: that
the creationists put the goal of the defense of fundamentalist religious
beliefs above the goal of teaching science. Having done so, their actions are
not only not stupid, but in fact effective, intelligent, well-planned means to
reach their goals.

I don't have any magic solution to the problem, unfortunately, but I think that
the problem would be better addressed by better character education than by
focusing on intelligence.

Paul Smith
Alverno College
Milwaukee