I mentioned this article to a colleague yesterday, and then asked
"What do you think the girl's 'first words' through FC were?". Without
missing a beat, my colleague (who hadn't read the article) said "I'll
bet she said 'Mom, I love you'". Sure enough, in the article we see

"With [FC Institute trainer] Chadwick helping to stablilize her right
wrist and her mother watching, a girl thought to be incapable of
learning to read or write slowly typed, 'I love Mom'".

I guess what's important is telling a good story, and not worrying
details like reality. Later other FC Institute folks report various
other miracles, including this gem:

"One day, when [FC Institute tutor] Jacob presented her with a page of
30 or so math problems, Hannah took one look, then typed all 30
answers. Stunned, Jacob asked, 'Do you have a photographic memory?'.
Hannah typed 'Yes.'".

The most telling part of the article comes shortly after that, when
the writer tells us

"Hannah's newfound ability to communicate has enabled her intellect to
flower, but it also has a dark side: she has become painfully aware of
her own autism. Of this, she writes, 'Reality hurts'".

There's a couple of interesting layers of meaning going on here,
right? There's quite a bit here about the article's author, and about
the FC enthusiasts.

Paul Smith
Alverno College
Milwaukee