On 8/16/06, Annette Taylor, Ph. D. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I just checked this out and in theory it looks really great. But how
do you know that students don't cheat in doing the tutorial and test?

I don't. But we keep the certificates on file, so when the student is
caught plagiarizing later on and tries to tell us that she didn't know
it was plagiarism, we can pull out the certificate and say "yes, you
did".

We're hoping that it's more a preventative measure, though - that
students see us taking it very seriously. Our students cannot pass one
200-level required course without doing this, and yes, I failed one
student this spring when she couldn't pass it. We need to know that
they know how to avoid plagiarism, and this is as close as we can come
to a guarantee, I think.

Paul Smith
Alverno College
Milwaukee