How we say it has nothing to do with whether or not it is a chunk.
What matters is whether or not it is a meaningful unit in LTM, as your
own examples illustrate. As the year in which Wundt established his
Psych lab, 1879 is probably a meaningful chunk for most of us. For the
general public, it probably would not be. The discussion in Miller's
paper under the heading "Recoding" explains this fairly well:

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Miller/

Paul Smith
Alverno College
Milwaukee

On 10/24/06, Herb Coleman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Subject: is 1879 a chunk?
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:24:04 -0000
>
>Hopefully,the chunking of info is one way to extend the capacity of
>STM and 1879 would appear to be such

Maybe I'm misreading it but for LTM  1879  is a unit of significance
However for STM, 18-79 is two chunks of information.  we don't typically
say it as the single unit of 1,000-800-70-9  We say "18-79".  Thus
parsing it into two chunks of information.  Like wise phone numbers are
not 7 or 10 chunks if information by usually 3 or 4 chunks.  In my own
case, my office phone is "five one two-two two three- seven seven-four
six".  That's used to get it into STM  for those familiar, 512 is
already in LTM as representing Central Texas.  Those even closer know
that 223 is Austin Community College.  For those closer still, they have
stored in LTM that suffixes starting with 7 means the Highland Business
Center campus.  So for this last group, to manage STM they just listen
for the 7 7- 4 6.

But that's just my opinion...or is it?

--

Herb Coleman,Director
Instructional Computing and Technology

or put more simply

"I will go for my shots and not die wondering."
-Alicia Molik, Australian Tennis Player