---- Original message ----
>Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 07:46:14 -0500
>From: "Mike Palij" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re:[tips] Failure of Constructivist, Discovery, Problem-Based,
>Experiential, and Inquiry-Based Teaching?
>
>In the situation Annette describes below, it might be easy
>to predict what students might do if we remember what sorts
>of cognitive biases and heuristics people ordinarily rely
>upon.
>
>(1)  Confirmation bias:
>(2)  Availability heuristic:
>(3)  Cooperative vs Competitive/Adversarial Styles of
> Communication:
(4)  Problem Solving based on Surface Features vs Deep
>Structure

Exactly! These and many of the others listed on the wikisite all do occur! As
well as the lack of correction for false conceptions, which abound in
psychology!

>It might be a worthwhile exercise to record how groups engage
>in group problem solving, see when and how individual biases
>and heuristics kick in, ...snipped some

My problem here is that I just don't have that kind of time in a normal
classroom day. This is a great idea, but given the constraints of college
coursework it just can't be done except if one structured this outside of
classtime as a study.

So I am back to my comment that I don't see "discovery learning" as something
that is practical in the intro psych classroom. In addition, the problem of not
correcting misconceptions is truly problematic! If students activate those
schemata without challenge it only strengthens them :(

Annette