Hi

I think the question is complicated by the fact that people in the humanities
would differ among themselves with respect to their basic epistemological
goals.  Certainly historically many people in literature, history, and the like
sought a "correct" interpretation of the events they were trying to understand.
 Hence there would be standards (correspondence with text or historical events,
coherence, ...) by which their models would be evaluated and these criteria
might overlap quite a bit with those we use in science.  Among such people,
there would even be people who adopted empirical and quantitative methods to
test their ideas.

But there are also people in the humanities and some social sciences (including
psychology) who have forsaken the idea of a true characterization for events.
The relativistic views of such postmodernists, deconstructionists, and the like
would appear to diverge from science at the very outset, leaving little room
for correspondences between the two "cultures."

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

Department of Psychology
University of Winnipeg
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3B 2E9
CANADA

>>> "Claudia Stanny" <csta...@uwf.edu> 04-Mar-09 10:48 AM >>>
I was struck by this similarity between literary close reading and
scientific hypothesis testing the first time I had a serious discussion
about how people in the humanities do their scholarly work.

Granted, this isn't science, but I think the analysis qualifies as the
same sort of evidence-based critical thinking that scientists use when
evaluating a hypothesis.
For those of us in science, the relevant evidence is empirical data
generated from a well-designed study.
For those in these other areas, the evidence is the text written by the
author. The hypothesis might be something like "Jane Austen uses this
metaphor, literary technique, or symbolism to represent xxx." There is a
similar type of hypothesis testing that historians use, with text from
primary sources (diaries, newspaper articles of the time, etc) as the
evidence.

There are certainly differences in methodology. But I think they have a
legitimate point about the use of evidence. A big difference is what
"counts" as evidence.

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.
Director, Center for University Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
Associate Professor, Psychology
University of West Florida
Pensacola, FL  32514 - 5751

Phone:   (850) 857-6355 or  473-7435