Hi

This came up on PESTs a few days ago ... I pointed out that Turkey is
actually the only country surveyed a few years ago with lower belief in
evolution than the USA.  Here's other points

Taner Edis has written much on creationism and Islam.  See a recent
summary at

http://www.hssonline.org/publications/Newsletter2008/NewsletterJanuary2008Creationism.html

There is a well-funded creationist movement in Turkey, Harun Yahya,
which has "borrowed" extensively from American creationists.  See

http://www.harunyahya.com/

And of course, it was reported several years ago that the only country
with lower commitment to evolution than the USA was Turkey.  See

http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2006/08/well-at-least-w.html

Perhaps USA can take some comfort in fact that if the many
less-developed nations of the world were surveyed, they would probably
be even less committed to evolution than the USA and Turkey.

Canada can hardly be sanguine about this matter ... Several years ago
one of our major, national granting agencies (Social Sciences and
Humanities Research Council of Canada) appeared (in many people's
minds)
to question evolution and put intelligent design on the same footing.
See

http://atheisme.ca/annonce/HAC_SSHRC_2006_09_en.html

I think it is safe to say that from an international perspective, the
debate about evolution is likely to continue for the next 200 years
after Darwin's birth and the next 150 years after the publication of
the
Origin of Species.

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> Jeffry Ricker <jeff.ric...@sccmail.maricopa.edu> 13-Mar-09 6:05:55
PM >>>
http://chronicle.com/news/article/6113/editor-of-turkish-scientific-journal-

reportedly-is-sacked-for-darwin-cover-story

March 11, 2009

Editor of Turkish Scientific Journal Reportedly Is Sacked for Darwin
Cover
Story
By Aisha Labi

The editor of a scientific journal published by Turkey*s state-run
Scientific and Technological Research Council has reportedly been
removed
from her post for commissioning a March cover story on Charles Darwin
commemorate the 200th anniversary of the naturalist*s birth. The
council*s
vice president, who is also a member of the magazine*s editorial
board,
*removed the story from the journal and put an article about climate
change
on the cover instead,* the Turkish daily newspaper Hšrriyet reported.

Dozens of university students and professors protested the council*s
action
outside its Ankara headquarters today, the Associated Press reported.
The
country*s secularists suspect the governing party, which has its roots
in
political Islam, is seeking to raise the role of religion and promote
the
Muslim version of creationism.

Turkey occupies a *central position in the creationist movement*
outside the
United States, Hšrriyet noted in an earlier article.

Turkey*s main, secular opposition party has filed a parliamentary
motion
over the apparent censorship, but Hšrriyet reported that the research
council*s president had *left the media*s questions largely
unanswered.*

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 06:12:03 -0700, Stephen Black wrote:
>Yesterday, we had a shocker in the People's Republic of Canada. Our
>Science Minister, (yes, our _science_ minister), with the proud title
of
>federal Minister of State for Science and Technology,  was asked
whether
>he "believed in evolution".
>
>He refused to say, replying "I'm not going to answer that question. I
am
>a Christian, and I don't think anybody asking a question about my
>religion is appropriate" (and you just have to admire the creative
syntax
>of that statement).

You might want to take a look at the editorial in this week's Nature:

|Editorial
|Nature 458, 259 (19 March 2009) | doi:10.1038/458259a;
|Published online 18 |March 2009
|Turkey censors evolution
|
|Turkey's government has done more for science than many. A row over
|a censored magazine and a sacked editor could put the good work at
risk.

|It has been the biggest crisis in Turkish academia since last year's
lifting
|of the headscarf ban in universities. Last week a portrait of Charles
Darwin
|was taken off the cover of the March issue of the government-backed
|science magazine Bilim ve Teknik (Science and Technology) just before

|it went to press. TšBTAK, Turkey's national science funding agency,
|which publishes the magazine, then sacked its editor, šidem Atakuman.

|Scientists, assuming censorship, are justifiably outraged and protests
are
|ongoing.
see:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v458/n7236/full/458259a.html

Anti-evolutionism:  Not just for Christians anymore.

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu