Hi

I'm hard-pressed to know whether my leg is being pulled or not, but I'll take
the bait anyway.  Mike's comments are preceded by MS, mine by JC.  I've taken
Mike's last point first.

MS:
Furthermore, I think any fairly intelligent clinician can pick up some
top-rated clinical research journals and figure out what clinical issues are
supported or not supported by the research. And that without giving a hoot
about scientific psychology. After all, it aint the inner workings of string
theory.

JC:
It might as well be string theory if one has not learned about scientific
methods and tools.  And why would one bother picking top-rated clinical
journals if one did not give a hoot about scientific psychology?  Or would one
even be able to discriminate between pop and professional psychology? And the
evidence (at one time anyway) was that clinicians tend NOT to pick up and read
journals to govern their practice.  Why bother when they can just talk to
colleagues (who don't read journals either) and when they don't give a hoot
about scientific psychology anyway?

MS:
I think perhaps that being a reasonable and rational person is being
confused with the science of psychology. To me, one needn't care about
scientific psychology and still be an excellent evidenced based therapist.

JC:
Again, why would one bother with evidenced-based practice if one didn't care
about scientific psychology?  More on reason and science below.

MS:
For example, Gerald Peterson in his post said
"In the Stanovich book he argues that psychologists should offer the public
two guarantees: First that claims are based on established scientific
findings in psychology, and second, that applications/treatments have been
developed and tested/evaluated scientifically."

Ok. I think that is a good idea. But, I think I can do that without caring
about psychology as a science. In fact, I can do that without any knowledge
of the scientific method at all.

JC:
But why would you bother doing it if you did not care about psychology as a
science?  And how does one discriminate between well-founded and quack
treatments "without any knowledge of the scientific method at all."

MS:
Without the empirical training will I be at the mercy of the authors of the
study? Of course (that is, what is beyond the bounds of an intelligent
rational person being able to figure out). But we all are, because we don't
have the time to investigate it ourselves and we fully depend on peer-review
and the status of the journal/lab where the research comes from.

JC:
But Mike that assumes these things (peer review, status of journal/lab)
actually matter to us.  Difficult for me to see why they would matter if I
don't give a hoot about scientific psychology. I'm sensing a theme here.

MS:
And note, we are not saying that the students don't have any training, just
that they don't have any particular interest. Also, Stanovich's book and
others like it are books about rational thinking not about the scientific
method.

JC:
But above you seemed to be saying that they don't need any training?  For
example, you wrote "without the empirical training will I be at the mercy ...",
which appears to imply they don't have the empirical training?  Or am I missing
something?  With respect to rational thinking and scientific method, one of the
ways to think about science and its tools is as a repertoire of techniques for
overcoming some of the native limitations of human cognition.  Some are pretty
obvious, such as Illusory Correlation and calculating a correlation coefficient
(or chi2 or t-test or whatever).  I would say there is much overlap between the
domains covered by rational thinking and scientific method(s).

MS:
Honestly, if we had to wait for the results of experiments to catch up with
life, we wouldn't be getting out of bed in the morning.

JC:
We're not talking about getting out of bed in the morning.  We're talking about
presenting oneself as an expert at helping people to overcome their personal
difficulties.  Moreover, it is one thing to "do your best" recognizing the
limits of your knowledge and perhaps doing it in a tentative way and in a way
that allows for evaluation (i.e., scientifically) and to push full speed ahead
certain that you have solved the problem of the Holy Grail, and leaving no room
for doubt or seeking confirmation.  And if you're in the latter camp, of
course, you're not likely to be seeking further information from clinical
science since you're not missing anything important.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax