Hi

It certainly would be nice for all students to take research participation (and
class participation and tests and life and ...) equally serious, but that is
unlikely to ever be the case.  I doubt, however, that slack participants have
much effect.  Only a few obvious ways that they could affect the results (off
the top of my head):

1.  Putting down same response for all items.  Would affect mean of scale(s),
depending on response emitted and average of responses.  No effect on
differences between scales administered to all participants or on different
experimental conditions for within-s factors.  Perhaps an effect for between-s
factors, depending on proportion of such respondents, their allocation to
condition, and their chosen response.  Primarily "noise" added to between-s
SSs?  No effect on reliability or validity of measures?

2. Responding randomly.  Would primarily add additional noise to within-group
SSs (error) for between-s factor.  Negative effect on reliability and validity
of measures?

3. Identifying purpose of study and responding to promote or negate "expected"
results.  Probably more effort than simply participating honestly in study.

There are ways to identify participants who could be excluded (as one poster
suggested) or to minimize their impact.

1. For reaction times, exclude participants with too many unreasonably fast or
slow trials.  I think the IAT does something like this.

2. Positively and negatively worded questions?

3. MMPI and other tests have ways to catch random responding that might be used
(e.g., too many conflicting responses to "identical" questions).

4.  Easy to screen for people who do not generate variable responses.

Perhaps also worth noting that if this were a serious problem, then one would
NOT find predicted relationships or produce consistent results across studies.
I suspect most students take the task as seriously as it merits (it is not life
and death) given they are going to spend time at it and produce worthwhile data.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

Department of Psychology
University of Winnipeg
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3B 2E9
CANADA

>>> "Blaine Peden" <cyber...@charter.net> 06-May-09 1:47 PM >>>
Our students and faculty conduct research with participants from introductory
psychology and other courses. Some participants seem to do the studies in great
haste and with little sincerity and thereby raise concerns about the quality of
their data. Have you developed strategies or instructional materials that
explain the process and purpose of psychological research to future
participants and also promotes their involvement and integrity? I welcome any
comments, suggestions, or resources.

thanks so much, blaine