Hi

I found the following somewhat ironic given there were legal opinions
(presumably from lawyers) that the practices were in fact legal.  I doubt very
much that the problem of policing members of professions is unique to
psychology.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

Department of Psychology
University of Winnipeg
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3B 2E9
CANADA

>>> "Linda M. Woolf, Ph.D." <wool...@webster.edu> 12-Aug-09 11:04 AM >>>
Dear Colleagues,
At the APA convention, Jonathan Turley (Shapiro Chair for Public
Interest Law, The George Washington University Law School) gave the
/Lynn Stuart Weiss Psychology as a Means of Attaining Peace Through
World Law Lecture/.  In his presentation, he commented about the methods
by which the law profession polices its own and how psychology fails to
adequately address those within the profession who behave in ways that
are unethical, illegal, etc. At lunch, we further discussed this issue
and we explained to Jonathan the divide in psychology whereby some in
the profession require a license and some do not. We also discussed that
membership in organizations such as APA is entirely voluntary and that
the Ethics Code for those without state licensing requirements is not
enforceable.