There is an interesting article in today's NY Times about the role that
pharmaceutical companies play in getting medical research articles
"ghost written" for medical researchers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/health/research/19ethics.html?ref=health&pagewanted=all

This is not new but, quoting from the article:

|Allegations of industry-sponsored ghostwriting date back at least
|a decade, to scientific articles about fen-phen, the diet drug
|combination that was taken off the market in 1997 amid concerns
|that it could cause heart-valve damage. But evidence of the breadth
|of the practice has come to light only gradually, most recently in
|documents released in litigation over menopause drugs made by Wyeth.
|
|The documents offer a look at the inner workings of DesignWrite,
|a medical writing company hired by Wyeth to prepare an estimated
|60 articles favorable to its hormone drugs. In one publication plan,
|for example, DesignWrite wrote that the goal of the Wyeth articles
|was to de-emphasize the risk of breast cancer associated with hormone
|drugs, promote the drugs as beneficial and blunt competing drugs. The
|articles were published in medical journals between 1998 and 2005 -
|continuing even though a big federal study was suspended in 2002 after
|researchers found that menopausal women who took certain hormones
|had an increased risk of invasive breast cancer and heart disease.

And...

|But bioethicists said that medical schools must take responsibility for
|faculty members whose publications do not explicitly acknowledge
|the work of writers receiving industry support. Such subsidized articles
|allow pharmaceutical companies to use the imprimatur of respected
|academics - and by extension, the stature of their institutions - to
|increase sales of certain drugs, ultimately skewing patient care, they said.

|"To blow this off is not acceptable," said Dr. Ross McKinney, the director
|of the Trent Center for Bioethics at Duke University Medical Center.
|Duke has a policy that prohibits ghostwriting and advises faculty to keep
|records of their participation in preparing scientific articles.

|"Our ultimate responsibility is to provide good care, and research is the
|foundation of that care," Dr. McKinney said. "Presenting information where
|the bias is not made clear is inconsistent with our mission."

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu