On 24 August 2009 Michael Sylvester wrote:
Fasting, denial, self-mortification, community sharing can all be
construed as forms practices that can lead to happiness.
Read Marcus Aurelius.

I've dipped into Marcus Aurelius's *Meditations* on numerous occasions, and have just checked the Introduction discussing his ideas and practices, and can find nothing about fasting and self-mortification, etc, as means to happiness. Just for once, Michael, could we have a citation, otherwise I shall have to assume that you have mistaken Marcus Aurelius for someone else - an early (or not so early) Christian perhaps.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
http://www.esterson.org