Dear Tipsters,

I thought this might be of interest to some.

Sincerely,

Stuart

Canadian Psychology © 2009 Canadian Psychological Association
2009, Vol. 50, No. 2, 91-97
0708-5591/09/$12.00 DOI: 10.1037/a0014393
Psychology Without Caucasians
Thomas Teo
York University
Based on historical, theoretical, and empirical reflections, it is argued that
the Caucasian theory and term
are obsolete in psychology. Discussing the historical origins of the term in
Johann Friedrich Blumenbach's
writings and the key elements to his theory, it is shown that his theory has
found no corroboration
and has been falsified through scientific research. Discussing current theories
of the origin of humanity
in Africa, the original skin colour, and the issue of degeneration, it is
argued that the end of the Caucasian
term in the discipline of psychology is not about political but scientific
correctness. The reception of the
term in different cultural contexts is reconstructed. The idea that Caucasian
refers to a specific group and
has no theoretical but purely descriptive meanings is rejected, as is the idea
that a common sense term
is a justification for scientific concepts. Suggestions for a more adequate
terminology when referring to
human groups are provided.

In this article, I challenge the problematic usage of the term
Caucasian in psychology. I present the original theory underlying
this term; that is, the assumptions and elements of the Caucasian
theory, all of which are shown to be false or misleading. I also
address the continued usage of the term in North America and the
reasons for the term's success. .......

Correspondence concerning this article should be addressed to Thomas
Teo, Department of Psychology, History and Theory of Psychology, York
University, 4700 Keele Street, Toronto, Ontario, M3J 1P3, Canada. E-mail:
t...@yorku.ca

                                   "Floreat Labore"

                               [cid:image001.jpg@01CA265F.11BD2EC0]
                      "Recti cultus pectora roborant"

Stuart J. McKelvie, Ph.D.,     Phone: 819 822 9600 x 2402
Department of Psychology,         Fax: 819 822 9661
Bishop's University,
2600 rue College,
Sherbrooke,
Québec J1M 1Z7,
Canada.

E-mail: stuart.mckel...@ubishops.ca (or smcke...@ubishops.ca)

Bishop's University Psychology Department Web Page:
http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy<blocked::http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy>

                                   Floreat Labore"