Recently I posted concerning Kathy Morgan's request for the earliest date
for use of the term "alpha" to indicate the dominant individual  in a
group, as in "alpha male".

As I seem to be the only responder to this query, I continue my lonely
quest. I pointed out that the OED cites as earliest use its occurrence in
an article in _Science_ in 1954. But (for shame, OED) their citation is
incorrect.

I then noted the use of "alpha male" in an article by U. Cowgill in
_Science_ in 1964, and an earlier one in a magazine called "Magnum
Photos" in 1960. I can now go farther back, even before the OED's
spurious 1954 claim.

The new source is this:

Greenberg, B. and G. Noble (1944). Social Behavior of the American
Chameleon (Anolis carolinensis Voigt).  Physiological Zoology, 17, No. 4
pp. 392-439.

They use the term "alpha male" on three occasions, the first being this:

"Later this same male mated with a smaller male, put into the cage to
test the ability of the alpha male to distinguish sex" (p. 409). As once
again they do not define the term, presumably it had already entered
general use by this time.

Further browsing suggests the term originated with the primatologist
Clarence Ray Carpenter when working as a fellow of the Yerkes Primate
Laboratories.  He studied rhesus monkeys on the island of Cayo Santiago
in the late 1930's, and the term "alpha male" occurs frequently in
discussions of his work. For example, see Harding and Hintikka (2003),
_Discovering Reality_ (2nd ed), p. 170 [available by searching in Google
Books].  Montgomery (2005) has a recent review of Carpenter's work.

While I'm confident that "alpha male" originated with Carpenter, I
haven't been able to retrieve any of his papers to verify this. One place
I think it might appear is in his 1942 article cited below.

Assuming I'm right about this, there's still the question how a term
which originated in a specialized, even obscure scientific field made its
way into popular culture. One explanation is that Carpenter's work on
Cayo Santiago was featured in Life Magazine, and this may have introduced
the term to a wider readership (see p. 7 of Dolores Flamiano,  Meaning,
Memory, and Misogyny: Life Photographer Hansel Mieth's Monkey Portrait
(2005) available at http://tinyurl.com/nkal3u  ).

Carpenter, C.R. (1942). Sexual Behavior of Free Ranging Rhesus Monkeys
(Macaca mulatta). I.Specimens, Procedures and Behavioral Characteristics
of Estrus. Journal of Comparative Psychology 33(1): 113-143.

Montgomery, G. (2005). Place, Practice and Primatology: Clarence Ray
Carpenter, Primate Communication and the Development of Field
Methodology, 1931-1945. _Journal of the History of Biology_, 38: 495-533.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University      e-mail:  sbl...@ubishops.ca
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Subscribe to discussion list (TIPS) for the teaching of
psychology at http://flightline.highline.edu/sfrantz/tips/